Talestreamer makes your Alexa skill sound great by replacing Alexa’s voice (awesome though it is) with rich, multilayered audio that incorporates synthesized speech, human voices, and foreground and background music and sound effects. This document describes how you can start using Talestreamer for your Alexa skill.
Want to watch this instead of reading about it? Try our video.
If you are using the Alexa SDK and AWS Lambda (other options), it just takes 4 steps:
- Depend on the Talestreamer SDK.
- Sign up for Talestreamer.
- Get the Talestreamer snippet from the Talestreamer dashboard.
- Paste the Talestreamer snippet into your Alexa skill.
As soon as you’re done, your skill will use Talestreamer’s default style. Now you can make your skill sound awesome using Talestreamer.
1. Depend on the Talestreamer SDK
In the directory that contains your skill’s source code, run this:
$ npm install –save talestreamer
You should see something like this:
added 28 packages in 4.308s
2. Sign up for Talestreamer
Sign up for Talestreamer. You get a free trial, with no credit card required. Check out Talestreamer pricing for details.
3. Get the Talestreamer snippet from the Talestreamer dashboard
- Visit the API tab on the Talestreamer Dashboard
- Click “Create Key”
- Copy the Alexa snippet.
4. Paste the Talestreamer snippet into your Alexa skill
The Talestreamer snippet goes at the end of the file that defines your AWS Lambda handler function. Usually, that’s
Other Integration Options
Otherwise, you can call the Talestreamer REST API from your Alexa skill.
Once you’re done integrating Talestreamer with Alexa, you can start making your skill sound more awesome.